MerciBeaucupe JK

MerciBeaucupe JK

lunes, 14 de abril de 2014

Poems



Ode:
  • Poem that is written for an occasion or on a particular subject: a person, an event, or something that’s not even present.
  • More formal and serious as a form than other forms of poetry.
  • Modern odes: sarcastic poems. Ex: they can talk about velcro and vegetables.
  • 3 types of odes: the Pindaric, Horatian, and Irregular.
Keats’ odes:
Ode on Indolence (1819): “One morn before me were three figures seen,”
Ode to Psyche (1819): “O GODDESS! hear these tuneless numbers, wrung”

Ode to a Nightingale (1819):  “My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains”

 Ode on a Grecian Urn (1819): “THOU still unravish'd bride of quietness,”

Ode on Melancholy (1819): “NO, no! go not to Lethe, neither twist”

To Autumn (1819): “SEASON of mists and mellow fruitfulness,”

Themes:
  • The Inevitability of Death:
Poems:   
“On Seeing the Elgin Marbles”:  “Of godlike hardship tells me I must die
Like a sick eagle looking at the sky.”

 “Sleep and Poetry”:
“Smoothed for intoxication by the breath
Of flowering bays, that I may die a death
Of luxury”


·         The Contemplation of Beauty:
Poems:  “Ode on a Grecian Urn”: “ A flowery tale more sweetly than our rhyme”
 “On Sitting Down to Read King Lear Once Again”: “Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire.”
  • Passing of time:
Poems: “To Autumn”:

later flowers for the bees,

  Until they think warm days will never cease,
        
    For Summer has o’er-brimm’d their clammy cells.


“Ode to a Nightingale”:
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

    Fled is that music:—do I wake or sleep?



  • Love
Poems:  "La Belle Dame sans Merci": “I met a lady in the meads,
Full beautiful – a faery’s child”
"Bright Star": “Pillow'd upon my fair love's ripening breast,
To feel for ever its soft fall and swell,
Awake for ever in a sweet unrest,”

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario